Don’t like storing your sensitive data and documents on your laptop? There’s a security feature that can help. With a Personal Vault, you can store OneDrive files, like tax- and personal-finance related ones, safely with an extra layer of protection in the form of authentication.
This means you don’t have to delete them or worry about them. You can make sure they are locked down, yet accessible. Simply unlock your Personal Vault when you’d like to get to your files. It auto-locks again, after a certain amount of time has passed, to ensure your data remains safe.
Wondering where to begin? Here’s how to secure your files.
First, you need a Microsoft 365 Family or personal subscription. This will give you access to the vault space. There’s no limit to what you can store. However, if you don’t have a plan, you can only store three files.
Once you have your subscription, protect your files by:
- Right clicking on the OneDrive System Tray and then select “View Online.”
- Sign into to your OneDrive MS Account, then under “My Files” double click the “Personal Vault” folder.
- You will then be asked to authenticate access through the multifactor authentication you have set up for your account.
- Once you’re in the Vault, simply move the files you want protected. Just select the folders and then click “Move Items” in the Personal Vault.
- You can even set the amount of time you want the Personal Vault to remain open before it automatically closes. This ensures it’s locked even if you forget to close it. Just go to the Settings in your OneDrive System Tray, click “Account,” and select “Personal Vault” in the dropdown menu.
- When you need to open your Personal Vault to access files, right click on the OneDrive System Tray icon and choose “Unlock Personal Vault.”
Don’t want to think twice about your sensitive data at work?
Let Happy Faces Records Management handle it all and safely secure your organization’s files and records. We can keep them safe from prying eyes, fully protected and in compliance with government regulations.
We also offer scanning and document destruction services to make it simple to keep data secure – all without worry. Contact us today to get started.