Disposing of certain types of records is a little more complex than simply running them through the shredder. X-Ray film disposal and recycling when done incorrectly can have severe and complicated side effects. That’s why it’s so important to work with an expert who understands the complexities of records management. Here’s a look at what it takes to do the job properly.
The Environmental Impact of X-Rays
Medical film disposal is a federally regulated act as most x-rays and film contain silver. Silver is toxic to microorganisms which are the foundation of the natural food chain. It is very important to prevent silver film coatings from seeping into groundwater, streams, or rivers to prevent toxins from contaminating fish and water supplies. For these reasons, the film must be properly handled and disposed of to avoid any negative environmental impacts of its use and disposal.
Recycling Done Right
Film recycling is an option for disposing of medical film in a way that both protects the information contained within and the environment at the same time. Happy Faces has been providing film recycling services for the medical industry for more than 20 years. Our process meets both EPA and HIPAA standards for the disposal and management of these sensitive documents.
How We Do It
- Separate paper from film and shred all PII from x-ray jackets.
- Grinders reduce film into particle flakes only a half-inch in size making the film unusable and the information contained within incomprehensible.
- Records management professionals test film particles to measure silver content.
- Silver coatings are separated from film through a four-stage process of chemical burns.
- The emulsified silver and other coatings are sent to settling tanks. Plastics are then cleaned and sent to recycling companies for reuse in clothing and packaging.
- The emulsion mixture is processed to allow the silver to precipitate and the water is then recycled.
- The remaining silver is roasted to ash and all traces of water and other impurities are removed.
- The ash is then smelted until the silver liquefies and cast into ingot molds to cool. The final product is then sent to silver refiners for further processing.
In Partnership with Doctors
Film requires disposal in a secure and environmentally friendly manner, where silver is recycled and sent out for reuse. The consequences of mishandling this unique form of record may be more than you expect. The damage done to local environment is one aspect, but the fines or compliance issues are another. The experts at Happy Faces Records Management understand this process intimately. We are here to help our customers accomplish their security and environmental goals when it comes to x-ray disposal.
Full-Service Records Management
We focus on securing the win-win-win.
Making our clients and employees happy while maintaining a successful business. The records management business might seem kind of impersonal. But at HF Services, like all of the Happy Faces Family of Companies, our number one goal is making people happy.
The Happy Faces Family of Companies was established in 1995 to create a difference in the corporate world and in the lives of the communities that we serve. We are a full-service records management company dedicated to excellence in customer service.
Our growth and development has aggressively embraced new technologies while maintaining our mission to actively and continuously strengthen our relationships with our customers, employees and the community in which we serve.